Collation problems

SoluteDNS for WHMCS v2.xx.xxx and lower
Post Reply
solutebox
Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 13:26

16 Oct 2015, 17:15

Solutedns has a problem when mysql collation is case insensitive because for him the following domains will look the same (with mysql collation utf8_general_ci):

1-aeíóù.com
2-aeioù.com
3-aeiou.com

So when you activate solutedns for domain number 3, it will activate it for domain number one.

In the first place Solutedns shouldn't even go by the domain name but instead by the domain ID which would solve this problem, but if you have to keep looking up by domain name at least you could force the collation

Another solution is to change WHMCS database to use collation utf8_bin, but this can have other side effects I guess.

But I repeat, it would be much safer if all solutedns code was using IDs instead of domain names when activating domain or accessing it through client area.
User avatar
Daniel
Support
Posts: 200
Joined: 02 Aug 2013, 17:50

17 Oct 2015, 14:41

Could you please describe your steps taken in more details?

I have added these domains (WHMCS domain registration) to our development setup resulting in the creation of three zones being:

xn--ae-ojay4a.com
xn--aeio-ora.com
aeiou.com

All can be accessed and edited from both the client and admin area and seem to be assigned to the correct WHMCS id's.
solutebox
Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 13:26

23 Oct 2015, 11:28

I'm talking literally about:

1-aeíóù.com
2-aeioù.com
3-aeiou.com

Not punnycode like you described.

Some registrars like .pt use literal domains instead of punnycode and that's when the problem occurs.
User avatar
Daniel
Support
Posts: 200
Joined: 02 Aug 2013, 17:50

23 Oct 2015, 14:05

WHMCS indeed uses:

Code: Select all

aeíóù.com
aeioù.com
aeiou.com

SoluteDNS converts it to it's index as:

Code: Select all

xn--ae-ojay4a.com
xn--aeio-ora.com
aeiou.com

Registrar modules are using the WHMCS version. When tested all WHMCS versions where converted and assigned correctly to the SoluteDNS index. So that's why I've asked to describe the taken steps in more details for us to replicate.

As SoluteDNS uses the IDN format it's collation is not affecting this.

If you believe the utf8_general_ci collation which WHMCS uses for it's domains table is wrong you might want to contact WHMCS support directly or change it to utf8_unicode_ci and try again. But I think WHMCS is correcting this by using iconv. However the problem you describe does not seem to occur on our setup.
Post Reply